Sunday, April 29, 2012

To my future son

Dear Son,

I have thought about you ever since i thought about getting married.  You know why?

its because in every man that has asked for my hand in marriage, i have seen a little version of you.  I want for you a father and a daddy. A father that will teach you patiently and a daddy that will love you with all his heart.

i want to listen with pride when you say to me "i want to be like my daddy when i grow up". and have no fear of how you will turn out.  So you see my son, you determine to a large extent who i will marry because i want you to be just like your daddy.

A man who loves the Lord with all his heart. A man who can stand on his own and who is not afraid to cry. A man who will place his family on the top of his priority list. A man of valor, strength and a strong character.  A man who will never compromise his good character to get the seemingly beautiful things of life. A man of genuine integrity. A man who knows how to treat a lady. A man who is as bold as a lion but with the heart of a lamb.  A man who is not afraid to love.  A man so full of wisdom, he is able to provide for his family and keep an inheritance for his children. A man who would treat his wife like a queen, he's daughter like a princess and make his son the prince of his castle.

All this and many more i desire for you my son, but i know that you can only fully learn them by walking in the footsteps of your father.  Since i want you to be like him, then i must choose wisely.

My greatest joy will be to see you and your daddy walk and work together in harmony. To see you both talk and when i ask you to tell me what you have been discussing, you'll both say in a chorus "its men's talk".  To see you go out together and play ball or go fishing.  It will be nice to see you argue with your daddy and watch as you settle it with a "chop knuckle/ handshake". 

I promise not to get jealous of your strong bond but will be there through it all cheering you on and stealing hugs while i whisper in your ears how great you will be. And when you need to cry and don't want your daddy to see you, come to me, I'll give you open arms, a handkerchief and a cup of tea.

oh my child... you will be great. You will do and achieve far greater things than your daddy. You will be fearless and strong.  I see it all.

And when it is time to build your own home, i hope you would have seen in me an example of the woman you should marry and in your dad an example of how to be a man, a father, a daddy and a husband.

Your big sister sends her regards, she is very excited to meet you and i can tell that both of you will be best buddies.

Mummy loves you and no matter how much you grow, know that you will always be my little prince.

Loads of love.

Mum

3 comments: