Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Like a Child




Some memories just never go away, and events of the present times trigger them every now and then.  Some sweet, some bitter and some just bring lessons you never would have learnt until now or when God knew you would understand.

One of such is the thought of how I used to run to meet my daddy when he comes home.  Starting from the sound of the familiar horn and the scream of “Daddy” to the scampering of my little legs out the door and outside jumping until his car is parked and I can open the door for him.  I was always the first one out, no one could compete with me.  These thoughts make me giggle as I write them.  I’d always be the first to receive anything he brought home… toys, suya, a hug and anything.  Those were good ol’days.

Gradually, i started growing up, I was sent off to boarding school and then University and those days were over.  I still go out to receive my dad when he comes home, but not with the usual child like excitement and am not always the first one out anymore.  Besides, am like double the size I was back then, I bet my dad can’t even lift me off the floor anymore… we’ll both be on the floor in seconds….  Nonetheless, I love and cherish those memories.

One morning, as I pondered on my life and my relationship with God, he brought back this memory and the lesson he wanted me to see and learn.  It had to do with how we approach the presence of God.  Now think back to all the Sunday mornings or quiet times you have had with God…. How do you come into his presence?  Grudgingly, tired, excited (like a child), or just indifferent?  On Sunday morning, I know sometimes I find it hard to stand up from bed….  But God wants us to be overly excited about spending time with him.  He wants to see the eager glee of a child when we come into his presence.  The bible says we should delight (be satisfied, enjoy, to please) ourselves in the lord.  He wants us to be excited to be the first in his presence and we can take the first gifts he has to offer.  No wonder David sought the Lord Early in the Morning.

I know I fall short in this area and I intend to do something about it.  God also showed me that we would always be children in his arms.  No matter how much we grow up, we should never be afraid to be children in his presence.  His arms will never grow too weak to carry us or too small to hug us, and his feet will never be too tired to carry us.

Sometimes, I am afraid to run out to meet my dad when I have done something wrong, but God says we can come into his presence whenever we want, regardless of what we have done.  He knows every wrong thing we will do before we do it and he has already offered forgiveness in advance and does not love us any less than he does now.  God is such an amazing father; he is the perfect picture of PAPA.

My point?  Let’s change how we come before our maker, let us approach him like children; excited, full of life and eager to hear what he has to say and what he has to offer us. 

Oh, how I love the lord and  all that is within me delights in him.  Like a child, I will run to him and seat at his feet.  I will wait eagerly to hear what he has to say to me and like an obedient child, I will do as I am told.  I will believe his every word like a child so simply believes and I will trust him with the heart of a child.  And while I mature in the knowledge of his words and ways, my heart will remain like that of a child…. always eager to run into and enjoy his presence.

1 comment: